Common ground for action

This might be the best thing for bridging commenting and engaging – And its already two years old! I would like journalism to just do this: writing up alternative solutions for a problem, describing the drawbacks of each, give sources for everything and fill it into this awesome discussion platform:

https://vimeo.com/99290801

This is fantastic . Thank you

I will hopfully see this approach in acton today. You can join too. The national issues forum will do a session today:
https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07ecsk81u6a64907cc&oseq=&c=&ch=

I did a 2 hour session on climate change yesterday. Generally I liked this approach very much. But it was a bit fast paced. I think it would have worked better if the issue had been more narrow. It is the most advanced approch in this area, that I know of. I think coral project could learn a lot from it.

It seems excellent for issues focused discussion . Could you see it applying to less action focused discussions?

@sydette: absolutly. The action part is not a necessary condition. The approach is oriented to a solution though.

All you need is a central question or discussable statement from the article (some newsrooms are already doing this. Two Gurdian hacks are recommending it.) along with some solution proposals.

The common ground for actions approach shows that discussions shouldn’t be between so many people like in the comment section. If many people want to discuss an issue, separate them into smaller groups. Maybe the comment section could be reinvented as an open multiplayer online game. Like the UNO game app. The app places you into a virtual room with four strangers to play cards. You are also able to befriend and block other gamers.

But there is a problem with this approach: The comment-reader has no place in it. Maybe the players in the group discussion should be able to mark good statements or arguments from the group discussion to appear publicly.

I think this is a great tool for special events in which continuos engagement is not an issue and video based tools such as picola uare not feasible. But this is not designed for asynchronous interactions and low engagement environment. It requires a lot of commitment. On top of that the demo I saw starts with proposals pre generated, so it would require integration with a brainstorming tool or a mechanism to harvest ideas. In sum for me this is a Fantastic tool for minipublics (deliberative polls, NIS, participatory budgeting) filtering phase, difficult to apply to asynchronous large scale text based interactions.