Interesting academic papers about comment sections

http://www.lindsayblackwell.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Classification-and-Its-Consequences-for-Online-Harassment-2017.pdf

Classification and Its Consequences for Online Harassment: Design Insights from HeartMob

LINDSAY BLACKWELL, University of Michigan School of Information
JILL DIMOND, Sassafras Tech Collective
SARITA SCHOENEBECK, University of Michigan School of Information
CLIFF LAMPE, University of Michigan School of Information

We examine systems of classification enacted by technical systems, platform policies, and users to demonstrate how 1) labeling serves to validate (or invalidate) harassment experiences; 2) labeling motivates bystanders to provide support; and 3) labeling content as harassment is critical for surfacing community norms around appropriate user behavior… we argue that fully addressing online harassment requires the ongoing integration of vulnerable users’ needs into the design and moderation of online platforms.

Not Funny? The Effects of Factual Versus Sarcastic Journalistic Responses to Uncivil User Comments
Marc Ziegele, Pablo B. Jost

Incivility in user comments on news websites has been discussed as a significant problem of online participation. Previous research suggests that news outlets should tackle this problem by interactively moderating uncivil postings and asking their authors to discuss more civilized. We argue that this kind of interactive comment moderation as well as different response styles to uncivil comments (i.e., factual vs. sarcastic) differently affect observers’ evaluations of the discussion atmosphere, the credibility of the news outlet, the quality of its stories, and ultimately observers’ willingness to participate in the discussions. Results from an online experiment show that factual responses to uncivil comments indirectly increase participation rates by suggesting a deliberative discussion atmosphere. In contrast, sarcastic responses indirectly deteriorate participation rates due to a decrease in the credibility of the news outlet and the quality of its stories. Sarcastic responses however increase the entertainment value of the discussions.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0093650216671854

From Audience to Reporter: Recruiting and training community members at a participatory news site serving a multiethnic city
Daniela Gerson, Nien-Tsu Nancy Chen, Andrea Wenzel, Sandra Ball-Rokeach & Michael Parks

This study explores a hyperlocal news website that has trained dozens of community members to report on their own multiethnic city. It examines two approaches to participatory media used by the site: a loose community contributor model based around monthly in-person meetings and a more structured youth training program. Using the observations of the founding editor (the lead author), a professional journalist who facilitated both programs, as well as feedback from content contributors collected through a focus group, interviews and written reflections, we look at the process and investigate the outcomes on contributors’ sense of agency to tell local stories. Reflecting on best practices and key challenges, including sustainability, we situate this case within the context of the rise of locally based community news websites, and changing ideas of what defines a journalist.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17512786.2016.1216800?journalCode=rjop20

How Is Participation Practiced by “In-Betweeners” of Journalism?
Laura Ahva

This article suggests viewing journalism as a structure of public communication that is enacted through the practices of various actors at sites that go beyond the newsroom. In this practice-oriented understanding, journalists, audiences and all citizen actors in-between these traditional positions take part in the enactment of journalism. This article focuses on the “in-betweeners” of journalism: citizens who are not employed as full-time journalists yet are also not part of what is considered to be the typical audience. It explores the participatory practices of activists, freelancers, academics, local residents, artists and students who are participating in the journalistic process at three different European journalism outlets: Voima, an alternative monthly magazine (Finland); Cafébabel, a participatory online magazine (France and other European countries); and Södra Sidan, a public journalism-style local newspaper (Sweden). The article draws on interviews with 69 actors as well as observations regarding communication between citizens and journalists. It discusses and further develops the concept of participation as introduced by Nico Carpentier in 2011 in Media and Participation: A Site of Ideological-democratic Struggle by separating participation in journalism from participation through journalism. It concludes that there are additional orientations of participation when looked at from the perspective of citizens, namely those of participation with, participation around and participation for journalism.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17512786.2016.1209084?src=recsys&journalCode=rjop20

The Appropriation/Amplification Model of Citizen Journalism: An account of structural limitations and the political economy of participatory content creation
Nikki Usher

A collaborative relationship between citizen journalists and professional journalists has long been an aspiration for many media scholars. While tensions surrounding professional control are significant, scholars also have to consider the structural dynamics of content online and across social media networks, particularly in an era of the corporatized and commercialized Web. The rise of social discovery tools and algorithms is also addressed. This article aims to bring to light these concerns and moves the conversation about citizen journalism forward by proposing a model that identifies the pathway through which news organizations gather, select, package, and disseminate citizen journalism content.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17512786.2016.1223552?journalCode=rjop20

Practice Theory for Journalism Studies: Operationalizing the concept of practice for the study of participation
Laura Ahva

This article offers a theoretical-methodological contribution to the discussion on the relationship between practice theory and journalism. The article argues that the domain of practice theory—combining elements from cultural and social theories—offers the opportunity to both move away from industrial or professional frameworks of studying journalism and to examine how journalism is reproduced in practices of various agents involved in its enactment. Firstly, the article presents a model in which the concept of practice is deconstructed into three elements (activity, materiality and reflexivity), which can be used as the basis for empirical analysis. Secondly, it provides methodological insight and proposes a way in which citizen participation, as an emerging practice of journalism, can be scrutinized by operationalizing practice theory. This theoretical-methodological avenue enables us to see the multiple orientations and meanings that participation has in journalism. Moreover, studying journalism through the concepts provided by practice theory can eventually help us understand how journalism maintains itself and is capable of renewal through (and despite) increasing participation.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1461670X.2016.1139464?src=recsys

https://nicd.arizona.edu/research-report/patterns-and-determinants-civility

A taxonomy of incivility

An ethnographic study of Hearken

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21670811.2018.1445000?tokenDomain=eprints&tokenAccess=dit8avqZeHRb7zSqpk76&forwardService=showFullText&doi=10.1080%2F21670811.2018.1445000&doi=10.1080%2F21670811.2018.1445000&journalCode=rdij20

I think the a more accurate term would be ontology rather than taxonomy. The code book paradigm implements well in SKOS and OWL. Particularly if the comments were further analised.

Not strictly a comments sections paper, but these 10 principles for ethical big data work could apply to any org that collects user data

http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005399

There’s a lot in this (disturbing) paper about how abusers behave in online communities to take action against victims of their abuse.

“A Stalker’s Paradise”: How Intimate Partner Abusers Exploit Technology
Diana Freed, Jackeline Palmer, Diana Minchala, Karen Levy, Thomas Ristenpart, Nicola Dell

I will look at the article thanks.

Let us not forget that social media is a tool used by organized stalkers of all sorts and explore this issue.

“what happens on the lower level is responsible for what happens on the higher level, it is nonetheless irrelevant to the higher level. The higher level can blithely ignore the processes on the lower level.” - Douglas R. Hofstadter

Or in other words the nose does not cause the horse.

Hi Andrew.
Thanks for the article. I didn’t quite get what the article was about from your comment. I hope my off-topic reply did not sound callous.

If you ever had to spend any amount of time dealing with domestic violence this will definitely resonate. Now I end up advising both genders on how to detect and remove these hidden spy/control apps from their devices. Which leads to the hours long speech on how to disengage from these situations because the device is part of a larger pattern of behavior.

Not that I am a saint. Although framed around harm reduction, dual diagnosis and non-violence. We did some pretty questionable things back in the day to get this sort of thing to end. Stalker stalking for example. Prior to and just after the anti-stalking laws were introduced.

Street interventionists existed long before that sappy TV show (sorry.) It’s closer to what John Travolta says in that comedy: “I’m not that kind of angel.” Equivalent to social workers on one level but much rougher people. Vigilantis parked outside of shelters uninvited. That sort of thing.

Yeah so I think disturbing probably qualifies as an understatement if you lived it. I get flashbacks of other peoples flashbacks.

I appreciate the information and in particular I appreciate seeing it here. Everyone should read it.

I am sure that was upsetting to many people. I am required and disadvantaged by having to speak to issues as they occur.

For the record, There was a lot of street talk about a system similar to the Quakers of old and their underground railroad for slaves. The idea was kids that system fauled could disappear into it.

if it exists or existed it was deeply hidden.I did not locate it but didn’t know the right people. I found no cases where it might have been involved. An apparent urban myth.

In the 90s, we could have used it. The BC government was dedicated to keeping families together. Sounds great eh? Politics. A few sacrifices to that cause were apparently worth it the little [stolen] unredacted FOIA snipits showed.

You might wonder what comments software has to do with children’s civil rights. I’m OK with that.

[ added the word stolen ]