Introduce yourself!

Hi all. I’m John.

I’m a developer, currently the UI team lead at VIPRE Security. I’ve been looking to start contributing more to the open source community and came across The Coral Project and thought that it looked like a project with a great purpose, so I came to see the discussions and hopefully take part.

You can find me on https://twitter.com/RHGeek or https://rhgeek.github.io/

Welcome John! We’re glad you’re here, and would love to have you participate. There’s more information here on Contributing: https://coralproject.net/contribute.html and you can join our Slack channel to talk to the team.

Thanks so much for joining us on this adventure!

Hey everyone!

My name is Bill Loundy. I’m co-founder of reallyread.it - we’re improving the internet by creating better conversations online. In our community, people can only comment on stuff they’ve really read.

We just did an Ask Me Anything on Reddit which will provide a lot more background.

In the coming weeks, we hope to begin having conversations with publishers who want to clean up their comment sections. We’re prepared to offer clients a very simple “real readers only” comment box below their content. Not only will this product clean up the comment section, we also have a unique way of driving a ton more traffic to your content.

Hope to connect with many of you! Cheers!
-Bill

https://twitter.com/wloundy

EDIT: also, feel free to email: bill@reallyread.it

Hey Amanda -

Thanks for sharing! This line of work (community mgmt, any type of dealing with people on the internet) is a constant roller coaster. Good thing we have communities of our own to keep us sane.

:slight_smile:

Welcome Bill! Your approach is really interesting.

Do you have any research that suggests that your approach will have a big impact? And what can you tell us about how you’ll be driving traffic?

Also do you have plans for it to exist outside of a Chrome extension that you can share?

Great questions!

We didn’t waste a bunch of time and money on research, because, in essence, everything we do is research. We’re a pretty typical tech startup in that way – focused on rapid/iterative development & using insights from data and user feedback to drive strategy. All research always points back to our hypothesis: commenting online stinks because it’s always a bunch of people who haven’t even read what’s being discussed. In just a few months we’re seeing that the problem is bigger than we imagined (nobody reads!! the data on this is overwhelming!!) and that our solution is viable - conversations amongst real readers are thoughtful, interesting and kind. Go figure :slight_smile:

Of yeah - we’re going to be way bigger than our Chrome extension! :wink:

The Chrome extension enables our users to really read anything, anywhere on the internet. But when our clients install our “real readers only” comment section on their page, the Chrome extension will obviously be redundant because we can just put the tracking extension on the page along with the comment box. Does that make sense?

It means that our clients’ users (readers) will engage with a simple interface: “You read the whole article, so we’ve unlocked commenting privileges.” or “Sorry, you can’t comment because you haven’t read the article. Read it so you can comment!”

Two distinct user experiences will work symbiotically and feed each other:

• Embedded tech on publisher pages
  • Extensions/mobile apps, etc, so that our community members can sniff out cool stuff all over the place

When publishers deploy the former, they’ll benefit from the latter; that’s how traffic will move, naturally, to our client’s content. There will be a significant first mover advantage here and we plan to pitch that to our first (bravest!) clients. Like reddit, we plan to capture the whole internet. When that happens, the traffic won’t stop but the relative advantage that our clients will have (over their competition, other publishers) will diminish.

If people are interested, I’d be happy to do a demo or something.

I think you’d like the latest Tom Gauld cartoon:

I’m interested to hear more about the data sets you’re looking at. Do you believe that adding reading depth plus your internal algorithm will remove harassment/abuse? Do you have any data on how many banned accounts/rejected comments come from people who haven’t read the article vs those who have?

And it sounds like in return for your embed, publishers have to agree to be part of a wider network - like Disqus, more or less. Is that right?

Hello, I am just tech support for a rare book business. More, I am the “end user” who is very interested in the issue of free speech exercised with civility and respect. I have seen some novel things done to promote such civility, such a forum that auto replaces every negative word with “plum”. If I were to write “I am an idiot” The post would read I am an plum. So, I was lurking here to look at what other things are being tried and the pop-up suggested I stop lurking and sign up. I hope I am not out of place here as an interested body with no particular expertise.

Welcome! You’re very welcome here, no expertise at all needed, except an interest in improving dialog online. I’ve seen versions of the ‘plum’ function you describe, some with kittens. It’s fun, but I think can also be a pretty frustrating experience for readers at the same time. And what if you actually want to talk about plums?

Where do you see the most civil / respectful online dialogs occurring? And why do you think they seem to work so well?

My favorite pass time is building competitions (You can laugh here) in the Electronic Arts / Sims 4 game. I go on to the Sims 4 forum to collect the briefs and also to view what other builders had done for each challenge. The people on the challenge threads are very supportive of each other and have an interest in improving their design skills. Thus most of us, there, are agreed that even the newest and least experienced builders can show us a new idea and need to be encouraged. Quora seems an other place that provides thoughtful responses to questions asked. Only people interested in the question and choose to do so, answer.

Unfortunately, most online dialogs have not engaged me because to often it seems like a competition of the trolls where they disrupt reasonable discourse and frustrate positive contributors. My personal take is to NEVER respond to a troll. They seem to have nothing to contribute, are generally not well read (or educated) and the whole point is to see how much trouble they can stir up. If ignored they tend to go away but my own patience is likely to go away fist and I leave.

P.S.
So, I failed to say what I think makes them work so well. I think it is a matter of actually having a shared interest and something substantive to contribute.

Heyo Coral people,

just joined the community. I would like to implement an idea of visualizing how the commenters form clusters based on their thumbing up and written opinions under a particular article. I came here to look for help to realize this conception and, optimally, to contribute to the Talk project.

Hello - I found the Coral Project while reviewing changes to the Washington Post’s commenting engine. I have found the comments and project fascinating because I share a desire to improve online conversation.

I was motivated by reading Professor Lakoff’s and Dr. Luntz’ work on the power of framing metaphors to influence reaction to online content. I listen to many a podcast where there is a frequent lament that certain messaging guidelines are not used, or not used consistently.

While I’ve tried to read and understand this body of work, it becomes difficult for me to remember and apply, especially across all the different topics about which I may want to discuss.

I am developing what I hope is a complementary technology that enables both experts having guidance on some topic to share some vocabulary/lexicon/persuasiveness on the topic with authors interested in writing better (e.g., more persuasively) on those topics.

This is a grassroots project that we’ve just launched that we have launched. We recognize that it would be better if everyone had the time, interest, and capability to learn these topics, but given everyone’s time demands, it feels like an overwhelming task to have everyone learn all the subtleties on all the topics.

This is one of the premises behind metaphormic, to help someone with ideas on how to speak about a topic, or to get everyone on the same page, to implement a technology to help transfer some part of this expertise efficiently and easily.

Even if a few online communications are marginally improved, we believe that we may have accomplished something useful. The technology itself is agnostic and may be adapted for a range of uses.

I would be interested in receiving any feedback on this project - currently an early minimum viable project (MVP) release.

you may learn more from: metaphormic.com

and we have a youtube channel (production values need some work) to demonstrate features of the technology:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSdHT0yNCJI8cXrn-oQvt9w/videos

There is a lot of great ideas on this site that I hope to incorporate into our project to continue to improve it as it evolves.

Thank you.

Mike

Welcome Mike! What an interesting project.

Two series of questions:

• What is the problem that you’re trying to solve? For whom is it a problem? How do you know?

• To what extent are you concerned that it can make poorly researched ideas appear to have more authority than they should? Could this tool help fringe/conspiracy/fictitious arguments appear more persuasive by easily allowing them to cloak themselves in the language of legitimacy?

Thanks for joining the community and we’re really interested to see how this develops!

Andrew
Project Lead, The Coral Project

Thank you Andrew - some great questions.

With my introduction to Professor Lakoff (https://georgelakoff.com/), being a science guy this field fascinated me - how a person may react to a message based on the terms used, context of the message, before even processing the actual message conveyed by the message. Professor Lakoff describes this problem, particularly for Progressives. One can read his books, study how to craft one’s on messages, and remember these principles with every post, article, message. It is hard to be an expert for every topic and many people simply do not have time to study these principles.

On the flipside, we have Dr. Luntz, a noted pollster who famously (infamously) crafted a lexicon for Conservatives. His argument is that it is not what you say, but what people hear. Word/phrase choice is key. He conducts realtime research using those response gauges (audience provides feedback while receiving some message, such as a speech or a pitch) and sees the effect of different words. This has led him to produce a set of words that shift/bias/skew thinking around a topic irrespective of the actual message. He provided coaching and word choice guidance to Conservatives in the “Contract with America” - and the general discussion now has mostly adopted this language which, if Professor Lakoff is correct, puts progressives at a disadvantage right out of the gate.

Energy exploration instead of drilling for oil climate change instead of global warming are example “substitutions” that some attribute to Dr. Luntz.

Earlier this year, Forbes published an article about social media trends in 2017 - one of which was for a company to encourage its employees to discuss the company, its services, its products, in the employees social media. The company could publish all sorts of guides, recommendations, word lists, and hope that the employees follow them, should they even have the latest and greatest list.

There are often people who like a company/product and write about it in social media - if the company can help these people in using a messaging strategy, then the company is able to leverage widespread and consistent messaging instead of the current diffuse ad hoc messaging that may not synergistic or focused or helpful to the enterprise.

A lack of collaborative shared messaging that is able to be easily incorporated into all forms of communications is, at some level, a problem for everyone who cares about messaging.

I could imagine a news organization having internal style guides to help remove certain biases - a version of this technology may help even in more “neutral” communications.

On top of this, I know because I hear (maybe I am “tuned” by my confirmation bias to hear) many people on the podcasts I listen to contribute a piece of the puzzle here and there - often a certain insight about a “better” word/phrase choice. If only people would learn/remember to use these insights…

Regarding a concerns about the technology, it is a concern on many levels. I see this project as a basic technology that may be used for good or ill (like a telephone or Internet) - who knows if it will be adopted and useful, and if so, whether it will be used for nefarious purposes. So yes, it is a concern and it could be used to skew messaging.

Some say that has already happened by conservative discourse - a properly implemented messaging solution may help to counteract this and let people hear the message.

Mike

Hello Everyone, I am Mahtab Alam, I am a Translator for Hindi-India(HI-IN) in Mozilla Community. I came here to learn more and contribute to this, So help me to understand where should I start? My Favorite online community is Mozilla because it gives me a platform to use my knowledge and skill for the people. I would like to talk about Localization and Design.

Hello Coral Community,

I am Dhiren Navani. I am a newbie software developer and looking for a way to contribute back to the community (via Talk Project specifically). I really appreciate Mozilla’s initiatives. I am passionate about poetry and journalism. I am a former blogger and I am a news junky.
So I believe coral community is a perfect fit for my passion and skills.
Looking to make an impact and learning.

Welcome Dhiren! Our contribution guide is here: https://coralproject.net/contribute.html

Let us know if you have any questions!

Hi folks. I heard about this project at

The Intercept
Comment Sections Are Essential for News Sites. We’re Making Changes to Improve Ours.

Myself I am a retired software geek educating myself re social media. Aren’t we all. Although I have a list :wink: here is my interest in Coral:

Enhancement are fine. I am interested in small enhancements to current software that provide the maximum benefit to the community and service providers. That requires more server resources and while you want “big data” it has to cost effective for the little guy.

I have a continuing interest in online privacy and security in a post 911 age. How this affects the average user and civil rights activists. Do we have an app for that? Is it any good?

and I came here to lurk around and see who this Andrew_Coral guy was. Hi Andrew.

Hi Dhorse! You are very welcome. Thanks for joining!

What kind of enhancements would you like to see in our work? Who do you think gets its it right?

And :wave: from me.

Andrew