Metric Wish List

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself!:

What are the metrics/numbers you would like to access about communities and comments? What relationships do you want illuminated ?

Introduce yourself!

I’m interested in ROI of communities generally including the ROI of investing in a good (moderated, recognized) comments section.

Comment sections are all about political discussion and a discussion is (or should be) about resolving a conflict of opinion. So my – admittedly unrealistic – metric wish would be: the amount of resolved conflicts of opinion :sunny:

The closest thing to this metric might be the delta awards in Reddit CMV

Introduce yourself!

Let’s tease that out some more.

What kinds of RO1? Return visits, time on page , shares etc?

Hello! I do have one idea around this. I’d be really interested in measuring/ranking communities on site.

For example, it’d be great to take all commenting interactions from stories by say a weather blog and examine the number of likes given, return users, replies, reported comments, all the data available to tip the scale towards or against a strong community.

In my mind, a great community would exhibit a strong sense of policing, conversations between commenters and a lot of return users.

A metric ranking the strength of community could prioritize where a newsroom needs to work more on and where there is an opportunity for a UGC project.

Introduce yourself!