Using Flag anonymously

Not really sure how to use the flag feature in comments as an anonymous user (without logging in). Is it possible? If it is, how?

Hi Sajal

We made the product choice to only allow people who are logged in to flag comments. This is to prevent one person being able to open a thousand incognito windows and flood moderation queues with what could look like a thousand different flags. It also makes mobbing more difficult.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Andrew
Project Lead, The Coral Project

Hi,

I’m working with Sajal on this issue. I’d like to know if there are any work arounds, since its a big business requirement, for our newspaper.

Hey @plexdk, no we currently don’t have a workaround for this.

Talk is built based on a lot of research, strategy, and UX study/design, so the features we have are very thought out and opinionated. This is probably one of the reasons you are choosing Talk :slight_smile: Because you want to improve community at your news site!

We do advise using Talk as it comes out of the box, and to modify it via plugins - we love making it flexible and customizable but there are limits to this.

Hi again,

Is it possible to create new roles in Talk, such as an ANONYMOUS role, who can’t comment?

I know it sounds a bit hacky, but if we create a new role, called ANONYMOUS which everyone will be logged in as. Then if the flag logic is checking whether the user is logged in, he should be able to flag a comment?

Thanks.

Hey @plexdk, trying to understand why you’d want a role of someone who cannot comment?

We’ve had others suggest a hacky solution like this, and it’s not something we’re looking to add to core a this time. We might address something similar down the line in v5.